I recently spoke with the Calgary Guardian about my new store, Unshelf Boutique, located in the Center On Eighth building off of Blackfoot!
As a local business owner here in Calgary, this feature in the Calgary Guardian means a lot.
What is Unshelf?
We’ve recently expanded our brand to Unshelf Design & Boutique to include our brick-and-mortar location, which will be the first decor consignment store Calgary has seen of its kind!
How Did Unshelf Boutique Start?
From garage sales to secondhand stores, I’ve always loved thrifting.
As the design and staging side of my business grew, I quickly realized a few things:
- My clients wanted unique pieces for their homes
- My clients wanted to get rid of their old decor
- My clients wanted to sell their old decor
I learned that there wasn’t really an appropriate option that hit all three of these areas. And, let’s be honest, who has the time or patience for classifieds?
I spent so much time daydreaming of a store where people could go to shop for sustainable, affordable, modern decor without having to sift through piles of rough to find one diamond.
So, I decided to stop wishing and build it myself instead.
Secondhand Goods, First Class Experience
Every single piece of decor in Unshelf Boutique is designer-curated, meaning that when people come to shop, they don’t have to spend hours searching for “good stuff” because everything there is quality.
Many of our decor and accessory items are pre-designed into trendy vignettes, so customers can buy the whole bundle if they choose to, take it home, and place already-styled pieces.
Unshelf Boutique is perfect for:
- People choosing to update/redesign their home
- People moving and selling off items
- People who just moved and are shopping for new items
- Home stagers (for themselves and their clients)
- Interior designers (for themselves and their clients)
- Professional organizers/downsizers (for themselves and their clients)
Unshelf Bouqitue will also host workshops in our ‘design lab’ within the store.
How Does Consigning With Unshelf Work?
People bring their lightly used home decor to the store (we recommend making an appointment) for evaluation.
In regards to the terms of sale:
- The consignor receives 40% of the sale, or 45% as an in-store credit
- Unshelf keeps 60% of the sale, or 55% is the consignor chooses a credit
We donate all items that don’t sell donate to one of the local charities we work with in the city free of charge!
In order to ensure that Unshelf Boutique items are always quality, we have certain requirements for consignment decor – please review them before bringing us your items.
We can’t wait for you to see our amazing decor consignment store Calgary!